In the lead up to Black Friday 2023, Priory addiction specialist helps to unwrap the…
Menopause Month is October and Trinity PR is working with intimate natural moisturiser, Sylk to provide the media with educational information and expert medical advice on the condition and its side effects.
The menopause occurs when menstruation ceases and affects women during their mid stage of life, typically between the ages of 45 and 50. Although this is a completely natural course of a women’s life, it can come with some additional changes that can take the body a while to adjust to. Symptoms such as hot flushes, weight gain and hair loss are all common. However, one of the lesser known – and much less talked about – effects of the menopause is vaginal dryness.
Many women first notice vaginal dryness during the perimenopause or menopause and this can be generally uncomfortable in addition to making penetration difficult. Often considered an embarrassing condition, many women going through the menopause with this problem have strained relationships and low self-confidence.
It’s not all bad news though. Sylk, a natural plant-based intimate moisturiser, recently commissioned a survey1 of over 1,000 women to explore sexual behavior in the UK and found that over the age of 40 we are certainly not lacking in love! The survey found that:
- 70% of women in their 40s have sex at least once a week
- Once sexually active from 18 years of age, frequency of sex only appears to decline significantly once women reach the ‘over 60 year old’ category. And still, 51% of the 60 and over age group have sex at least once a week.
- And, 34% of the 60+ age group are having sex 2-3 times a week!
Women don’t need to suffer in silence, but can talk to a healthcare professional such as the GP or local pharmacist about the condition. For more information on vaginal dryness and treatment visit; sylk.co.uk.
Journalists planning to write an educational piece about the menopause can speak to Kathy Abernethy2, specialist menopause nurse for an expert comment or advice. For further information please contact Jo Gulliver or Francesca Levi at Trinity PR on 020 7112 4905 or 0770 948 7961.
- Survey conducted by Gorkana ‘Sylk Relationship Survey’. Total respondents 1,000. Started 16:41 03/06/2014 Completed 07:08 04/06/2014
- Kathy has worked in the field of menopause for many years and has published widely on the topic in the lay and nursing press. She currently works in a multidisciplinary NHS menopause clinic, as well as running menopause education programmes for nurses. www.themenopausecourse.com